BELLS could be ringing out again at St Peter’s Church, Woodmancote, after being silent for many years. Plans are being made to restore the three historic bells, which date back to medieval times, with two of them made in 1426 and 1456, while the third dates back to 1656.
Because of their condition, the bells have not been rung for many years and now the parochial church council wants them to be brought back into use, subject to funding being available.
All three bells will be refurbished, with their hammers connected to chime electrically. A grant from Viridor of £7,500 has kick-started funding and fundraising at the church is set to achieve the remaining money needed.
Hopes are that all funds for the restoration can be achieved by the end of April, enabling the work to start in summer, and be completed by early autumn.