Nightclub forced to close on opening weekend

Ambar Horsham SUS-160911-164051001
Ambar Horsham SUS-160911-164051001

A new Horsham nightclub was forced to close early on its opening weekend.

Customers spoke on social media of fights, flooded toilets, broken glass on the dance floor and being left in the cold with no coats as they were made to leave The Venue Horsham early on Sunday morning (December 11).

Several police cars and the police dog unit were called as fights broke out outside the club, in Albion Way, at about 12.35am, Sussex Police said.

Officers said a man and his friends took a bottle of alcohol from behind the bar and started drinking it without paying. The man was escorted from the club by door staff but he struggled and resisted and sustained a cut to his eyebrow.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “The man was spoken to by police and admitted that taking the bottle of alcohol was theft and that his behaviour warranted being escorted off the premises. He agreed with the club that he and his friends will not return to the club.”

The nightclub re-opened on Friday (December 9) after being closed for refurbishment in October following its take-over by national chain MFA Bowl.

A spokesman for the company said: “On Saturday 10th December we had to close the venue early due to circumstances beyond our control.

“The ladies toilets became blocked and flooded, without being able to provide washroom facilities to our patrons we had no choice but to close the venue early.

“Closing early put strain and stress on the cloakroom area as everyone leaving at the same time. It was at this point that the cloakroom attendant had a heart murmur, creating further issues.

“We would like to apologise to all our customers for the situation and we appreciate the disappointment as to what should have been a great night out to end prematurely.”

Paramedics were called and treated the cloakroom attendant.

A spokesman for the South East Coast Ambulance Service said: “We responded to reports of a man with chest pain following a call at approximately 12.40am outside the bowling centre.

“One ambulance car attended the scene but the man declined further hospital treatment.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.