Moore and Wood goals see Loxwood edge out 10-man United

County League Division 1: Loxwood v Crawley Down Gatwick. Pic Steve Robards
County League Division 1: Loxwood v Crawley Down Gatwick. Pic Steve Robards

Ollie Moore scored on his debut as Loxwood edged out ten-man Worthing United at Plaistow Road this afternoon.

Michael Wood’s second-half goal was enough to clinch the 2-1 victory in the Premier Division after United had taken the lead through Pat Rose after 14 minutes.

The visitors also had to play the entire second half with ten men as centre-back Grant Philpott was sent off for foul and abusive language towards a lineman in the closing stages of the opening 45 minutes.

It was far from a classic with the lengthy break since their last match clearly visible on a below-par Magpies.

They went close early on as Wood twisted and turned in the box, but his effort was blocked away for a corner on six minutes.

While an tight offside flag brought a premature end to a United attack as Paul Elliott’s through ball set Rose away one on one.

Harrison Hilfiker then pulled off a good save to deny Elliott before the visitors went ahead.

Loxwood were caught over playing and lost possession and a shot from range was blocked, but fell into the path of Rose, who prodded home.

But just two minutes later, the Magpies levelled. A free-kick from the left found Moore 14 yards out and his looping attempt at a header came off his shoulder, but flew over Fraser Trigwell.

Harry Bachelor went close after a good flowing move and then just failed to get on the end of a teasing cross from Sam Beard.

A Elliott free-kick then caused the hosts problems as it bounced all the way though and came back off the post, Aaron Hasan then tried to finish from a tight angle, but Hilfiker managed to collect.

At the other end, Eddie French somehow put his close-range diving header, from a Ross Swaine cross, off target.

Philpott was then dismissed by referee Nick Blogg after a decision went against the defender and he swore at the linesman.

This meant Rose, who had being causing Loxwood all sorts of problems playing in the hole, was sacrificed for Dave Marsh to play at the back.

The second half was more subdued as having a man less seemed to galvanise Worthing, who had plenty of possession in an even 45 minutes.

On 64 minutes, a ball over the top set Owen Callaghan away and he squared for debutant Alfie Gritt, but he struck straight at Hilfiker.

Loxwood took the lead on 71 minutes as an over-hit corner fell to Wood wide left, he skipped past his man and fired into the bottom corner from outside the box, despite Trigwell getting a hand to it.

Substitute Charlie Pitcher then superbly flicked home after a great ball from Wood, but the striker was offside.

At the other end, Gritt broke the line and drew blocked save from Hilfiker and as the forward twisted to get the rebound away, it was also blocked away by Lewis Scally.

In added time as United threw everything forwards, Callaghan struck a tame effort at Hilfiker and then had an effort blocked over after a couple of corners, as they failed to find a deserved equaliser.

Loxwood: Hilfiker, Holvey, French, Scally, Courtney, Summerfield (Jee 66), Bachelor (Cave 76), Swaine (Pitcher 60), Moore, Beard, Wood. Unused subs: Camp, Smith.

Worthing United: Trigwell, Taylor, Philpott, Hasan, Hall (Tugnut 75), Callaghan, Gilmour, Rose (Marsh 43), Nagle, P.Elliott (Joseph 76), Gritt. Unused subs: J.Elliott, Evans.