A Horsham fire crew commander has explained the cause of the John Lewis and Waitrose evacuation last week.
Hundreds of staff and customers were told to leave the store on Friday July 3 after reports a smell of smoke was coming from the building.
Chris Tait, crew commander at Horsham Fire Station, said welding equipment was responsible for setting off the alarm and praised staff for evacuating the building safely.
Mr Tait said: “The smell of burning was caused by welding equipment being used outside the rear of the building. The fumes set off a smoke detector in the car park lobby which set off the fire alarm.
“I wanted to praise the efforts of Waitrose and John Lewis staff in safely and efficiently evacuating a building of that size. They were clearly well drilled in the fire emergency evacuation plan.”
Related stories: New Waitrose store evacuated
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.
1 Make our website your homepage at www.wscountytimes.co.uk
2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wscountytimes
3 Follow us on Twitter @wscountytimes
4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!
The County Times – always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.