Izale McLeod hat-trick paves the way for 10-0 thrashing

Billingshurst V Crawley Town 11-7-14  (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-140714-122552002
Billingshurst V Crawley Town 11-7-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-140714-122552002

Summer signing Izale McLeod scored a first half hat-trick as Crawley Town hammered local County League club Oakwood.

Lewis Young, who signed for Reds on Monday, netted twice and there were further goals for Conor Henderson, Jimmy Smith, Josh Simpson and trialists Bobson Bawling and Anthony Harris.

Billingshurst V Crawley Town 11-7-14  (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-140714-122811002

Billingshurst V Crawley Town 11-7-14 (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-140714-122811002

John Gregory fielded ten trialists including former Netherlands international Collins John up front, former Derby County and Notts County defender Dean Leacock, former Watford youth winger Bawling, ex-Stevenage midfielder Simon Heslop and former Kent County League midfielder Danny Childs.

The others were: ex-Shrewsbury striker Johhny Marsden, ex-Bournemouth Academy goalkeeper Chad Collins and winger Anthony Harris, Canadian MLS midfielder Emmett O’Connor and former Bournemouth defender Lewis Lindsay.

McLeod gave Reds the lead from the penalty spot after only seven minutes in confident style after an Oakwood defender handled the ball.

Former MK Dons striker McLeod scored Crawley’s second with a perfectly judged lob over keeper Ashley Harper after Heslop delivered the ball forward.

Henderson scored two during their 9-0 victory over Billingshurst on Friday and added his third in two matches when Emmett O’Connor set him up for a low strike from 20 yards.

McLeod nearly scored his third from a Young pass but was denied by a diving save by keeper Ashley Harper.

But McLeod did completed his hat-trick on the half hour with a tap-in following a run down the left flank by Ryan Dickson.

Henderson showed plenty of skill and should have scored his second goal of the night when he beat two defenders but then shot wide.

Joe Walsh tried to add his name to the scoresheet when he went up for a corner and headed against the crossbar.

Young scored two goals in three minutes when he fired in from a free-kick and then took advantage of of Oaks striker Darren Tidey losing the ball to finish well into the bottom corner to go into half-time leading 6-0.

Reds made ten changes at the start of the second half Collins John, who did not look particularly sharp, being the only player to stay on the pitch.

Childs defied his Kent League pedigree by mustering a shot narrowly wide with his first touch, while Marsden was denied by a defender.

It took until 75 minutes to score another goal when Smith received from O’Connor and struck a powerful, low goal from 15 yards.

This seemed to unlock the defence as Crawley scored four goals in seven minutes.

The athletic Bawling fired in the best goal of the day when he received the ball from Smith, played a one-two and then registered a composed finish.

Simpson had taken over the armband in the second half from Leacock and looked a figure of discipline as he turned and struck low into the bottom corner.

Harris met Simpson’s cross from the right with a first-time shot which completed the double-figure scoreline.

Crawley Town: (first half) - Brian Jensen, Lanre Oyebanjo, Ryan Dickson, Conor Henderson, Izale McLeod, Simon Heslop, Joe Walsh, Lewis Young, Connor Essam, Collins John, Anthony Harris.

(second half) - Chad Collins, Bodson Bawling, Dean Leacock, Sonny Bradley, Ryan Richeford, Jimmy Smith, Josh Simpson, Lewis Young (Danny Childs 47), Bradley Isaacs, Collins John (Anthony Harris 65) Emmett O’Connor (Lewis Lindsay 75).

Oakwood: (first half) - Ashley Harper, Mark Gilbert, Ben Jenner, Liam Coughlan, Liam Cox, Ben Arthur, Gerald Manville, Harry Lowe, Darren Tidey, Clive Piller, Toby Gilbert.

(second half substitutes) - Jack Flowers, Elliott Benton, Nathan Hayward, Ryan Murphy, Garry Dean, Scott Lawrence, Mick Hennessey, Cecil Lee Thomas, Jack May,