Horsham 3: Broadbridge Heath 0: Hornets floor the Bears in local derby

Hassocks v Horsham. Pic Steve Robards. SR1518160 SUS-151008-130609001
Hassocks v Horsham. Pic Steve Robards. SR1518160 SUS-151008-130609001

Horsham secured their first win of the new Southern Combination League Premier Division season against local neighbours Broadbridge Heath at Gorings Mead tonight.

The Hornets ran out 3-0 winners thanks to goals from Kieron Pamment, Mark Knee and Sami Hadi in the derby clash.

Heath failed to build on their comfortable opening-day victory on Saturday, but it could have been very different had they taken some of their guilt-edged chances and if not for a number of saves by Gareth Williams.

Stuart Chester also made a number of smart stops - particularly in the second half - in front of a bumper crowd of 335.

On four minutes, Scott Murfin nipped in on a sloppy defensive pass and fed Darren Boswell on the edge of the box, but Stuart Chester was back well to put in a block tackle.

Two minutes later, Mark Chester pushed away an effort from the back post after a Hornets corner and the visitors broke away.

Merv Bhujun drove into the left of the area and found himself in a shooting position, but tried to cross for Tim Martin and the loose pass spurned the chance.

The dangerous Pamment, who was giving Jamie Robinson a torrid time, earnt himself a yard on the right on 15 minutes, but Boswell failed to get enough on his deep cross.

Jordan Clark then riffled a free-kick just over the bar as the foul count for the visitors totted up.

The Hornets took the lead on 22 minutes as a ball across a busy box from the right eventually fell to Pamment, who finished across goal into the far corner.

On 32 minutes, a delivery from the right fell to Rob Godfrey in the box and he found Tiago Andrade via a deflection and his effort, when well-placed, was blocked wide.

Five minutes later, Horsham were given a lifeline after Charlie Farmer was caught trying to shepherd the ball in his own area and Bhujun got past, but referee Nick Blogg harshly penalised the Heath man.

Pamment then flicked home from an offside position, before Gareth Williams was forced into a good save on the stroke of half-time.

Heath broke forwards and a ball down the right was switched inside to Andrade, who found Ollie Moore, but Williams turned his effort from the edge of the area around the post.

After the break, Heath’s Martin sprung the offside trap and bore down on goal, but his last touch was heavy and allowed Williams out to make a stop at the striker’s feet.

Charlie Farmer almost scored an early contender for goal of the season on 56 minutes as he saw Michael Chester off his line and his effort from 40 yards cannoned back off the bar.

Two minutes later, however, Horsham did add a second as Knee’s low free-kick found the bottom-right corner from 20 yards.

Heath, to their credit, tried to hit straight back as Williams spilled a free-kick and Martin’s close-range effort was deflected over and from the corner, Andy Waddingham’s header was well held by Williams.

Horsham substitute Brad Lewis fired just wide after a lay-off from Murfin within a minute of coming on, while, at the other end, Moore’s stinging effort stung Williams’ palms on 76 minutes.

In the 83rd minute, Horsham added a gloss to the scoreline as Hadi forced a fine one-handed save from Stuart Chester as he latched onto a deep cross, but despite the keeper’s effort the substitute beat him to the follow-up.

Horsham: Williams, Knee, Jones, Farmer, Duncan, Clark, Shelley, Hunt (O’Hagan 83), Pamment (Hadi 66), Murfin, Boswell (Lewis 75). Unused subs: Storrie, Chadwick.

Heath: M.Chester, Sultan (Bevan 65), S.Chester, Attwater, Robinson, Moore, Waddingham (Wragg 71), Godfrey, Andrade (Holmes 59), Bhujun, Martin. Unused subs: Wicking, Legrange.

Attendance: 335.