Help in understanding home improvement regulations

HELP is at hand for homeowners who are considering carrying out general building work and home improvements.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has produced a new leaflet called ‘Building work, replacements and repairs to your home’, which aims to help residents understand which types of project need buildings regulation approval from the Local Authority Building Control.

It also provides information on which types of project can be managed under a competent person scheme, and provides contact details for such schemes.

Competent person schemes were introduced by the Government to allow businesses to self certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice.

Free copies of the leaflet are available from Horsham District Council and a PDF version can be downloaded from the Council’s website at

For anyone who is looking to build in the Horsham District and would like advice on building regulations, please contact the Local Authority Building Control team at Horsham District Council - known as Sussex Building Control - on 01403 215151.