Hall named after Washington couple

Norah Dor� with the new name plaques at Saturday's ceremony
Norah Dor� with the new name plaques at Saturday's ceremony

The tireless work for Washington village by resident Norah Doré, and her late husband Tony, was recognised in a naming ceremony at Washington Village Hall recently, when the Small Hall at the complex was named the Doré Hall, with the Large Hall named Chanctonbury, after the surrounding area.

Name plaques for each hall have been erected as a permanent reminder.

At the ceremony, village hall chairman Nigel Baker outlined the couple’s invaluable contribution together for the village, and Norah’s continuing work as a member of Washington Parish Council - a position she has held for 25 years.

He said: “We have two rooms at our village hall and we want to give an ambiance and image to both of them- one with a sense of location and the other to recognise the outstanding work of two people who have given an outstanding contribution to the parish - Norah Doré and her late husband Tony.”

Until his death four years ago, when they had been married for 58 years, Tony had actively supported Norah in extensive work for the village, which ranged from planting daffodils all around the village, cleaning the church and bus shelter to acting as caretakers for the village hall.

They had nine children but Norah still found time to be a child minder to countless village children, parish councillor, booking secretary for the village hall, a parish councillor, organise jumble sales and collections, run the bar in the village pub - the Frankland Arms - for more than 16 years, and do the annual RBL poppy collection in the village. In recognition of this, the couple were guests at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party in London which was a memorable occasion for them both.

But one of Norah’s main passions was the St John Ambulance Brigade, first in Worthing and then 28 years with the Steyning branch. She was seen on duty at many events in the area every year and her work was recognised in November 2011 when she travelled to London, driven by her son Dave, to an investiture ceremony where she had the honour of becoming a serving sister in the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John Jerusalem.

Her daughter Cherie said: “Mum has found it frustrating to have to give up her voluntary work recently during a period of ill health and has thanked everyone for their kindness and support.

“She is determined to continue as usual and is starting on the process to be out and about again. It is a great honour to have this hall given the family name.”