Seven arrested following fight between 50 youths in Crawley

editorial image

Seven people were arrested as police from Crawley and neighbouring areas were called to break up a fight between around 50 youths in Crawley yesterday evening (Sunday July 27).

A police statement says that more than 20 calls were received from concerned members of the public as the youths clashed in Dorsten Square, Bewbush, amid reports of baseball bats and stones being used as weapons. A police officer was attacked, suffering minor injuries.

Two people are believed to have been struck by a car. The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and the car was seized.

Chief Inspector Justina Beeken, Crawley district policing commander, said: “There has been growing tension among this particular group, but I would like to stress that we are not connecting it with the stabbing incident in Bewbush last Thursday. We are certain that the two incidents are not related.

“However, I will not tolerate this sort of disorder and my officers are working to deal with those responsible and identify others involved. I am determined that we will put an end to this unrest and I am appealing to members of the local community, who are understandably concerned and who do feel threatened, to help us with our enquiries.

“We are working with our partners in Crawley Borough Council and from other agencies to tackle the issues that have caused this incident. We are appealing for calm, and for members of the community to assist us in resolving tensions.

“If you witnessed Sunday’s incident or you have any information about the background to it or those involved, please email or call 101 quoting serial 1628 of 27/07. Alternatively, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

All of the arrested people come from Crawley. A 24-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy were arrested on suspicion of affray; a 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and violent disorder; a 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of threats to kill; a 14-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place; a 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour; and a 48-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm.