Horsham town centre bar fire: Dead Parrot owner speaks out over blaze
The owner of the Dead Parrot in Horsham has spoken out after a fire forced the bar to close.
Andy Harrod, a familiar face on the Horsham hospitalities scene, told how smoke damage from the electrical fire has temporarily closed the popular venue.
Andy said: “The chess board looks like every piece is black.
“The taxidermy badger looks like a really small panther.
“Everything upstairs and downstairs is just black and full of soot.”
Despite the damage, as soon as Andy had extinguished the blaze his thoughts turned to redecorating and reopening the bar.
Andy added: “We like what we do. We like the style of service.
“Every single day we still receive Facebook messages saying ‘can I book a table’.
“It’s been good.”
Faced with the task of redecorating Andy remained positive.
He said: “I’m not upset, I’m just disappointed.
“What else can you do apart from crack on and get it sorted.”
Although the bar won’t reopen until next year Andy’s customers can look forward to a mobile bar appearing in the town soon.
The market stall will specialise in hot cocktails, such as Irish coffees, hot toddies and spiked hot chocolate.
Andy added: “We’re also hopefully looking to put together a small, little food menu which will be effectively deep fried desserts.
“Dead Parrot presents the frying circus.”
Andy hopes to open the stall on December 6 ready to serve Christmas shoppers looking for a winter warmer.