Offside controversy stuns Storrington

HOR 100911 Football, Storrington v Bexhill United. photo by derek martin
HOR 100911 Football, Storrington v Bexhill United. photo by derek martin

STORRINGTON were stunned as Bexhill United came from behind to snatch the points in their 3-2 win in the Sussex County League on Saturday.

A controversial equaliser proved the turning point as a deflated Storrington conceded a late third.

The Swans are suffering something of an injury crisis at present and were forced to hand debuts to goalkeeper Jason Downer and midfielder Louis Foster

And the hosts started brightly, but it was Bexhill who netted first, their scrambled effort from close range had a hint of offside about it, but still, Storrington were behind against the run of play.

Swans had moved the ball pretty well for the first half-hour but the last 15 minutes of the 1st half saw both teams concede possession quite easily.

After the break, Storrington were the first to find their feet and started to dictate the tempo, which led to a deserved equaliser.

James Davis made a great overlapping run from right-back and latched on to a neat through ball from Richard Ayres to beat the keeper with a placed shot.

Soon after, Richard Ayres gave Storrington the lead when his run took him past a handful of defenders and he finished smartly into the bottom corner.

But as Storrington pushed for the winner, Bexhill levelled when a cross was fizzed into the box and the unmarked striker tapped home from a matter of inches out. The loud appeals for an offside flag were waved away. Joint Boss James Baker said: “I think everyone in the ground knew it was offside apart from the one person that mattered.”

Boosted by the goal, Bexhill pushed on with Storrington starting to fade and went on to claim the winner with a thumping header after the hosts failed to defend a ball into the box.

“This was a disappointing defeat for us,” Baker said. “Despite having a number of players missing through injury I still felt that we had enough quality to win the game. I think the reality is that the second goal from Bexhill really killed us.”