GARY CHARMAN - the third highest appearance maker in Horsham FC’s history - says his former club is headed in the right direction
The midfielder, now at Eastbourne Borough, is only behind fellow club legends Mark Stepney and Mark Chaplin in the club’s longest serving player standings.
And despite the fact that Horsham look destined for relegation in what has been a torrid season and still remain without a home, Charman believes there is light at the end of a dark tunnel.
“It looks like there’s a mountain to climb to avoid relegation but before the season started everyone could see what a big challenge it was but it the club has now found some stability,” said the player who racked up more than 500 appearances in yellow and green.
“Results have been better recently, they’re not losing by four or five now and they’ve picked up good points away at Lewes and against Wealdstone.
“It’s a difficult league, it proved so last year when we had a fairly strong side and only picked up towards the end of the season.
“They’re still getting the die hard fans down there and there will still be a Horsham Football Club next season even if they’re a Ryman South club, that’s the most important thing.”
The Horsham FC Board slashed the playing budget to just expenses at the start of the season which has made attracting quality players difficult, but Charman insisted: “There needs to be a Horsham Football Club in 30 years time and the board have to do what’s needed to make sure that happens. If that means getting rid of the budget like they have done then so be it.
“There’s been a lot of new faces at the club, a new chairman, a new manager and a totally new team and they have a tough job rebuilding the club. Until they have a new ground there’s more bills going out then in.
“I feel sorry for them, there’s a lot of people behind the scenes who work their socks off for no money but no one really sees that outside the club.”
Charman quashed the rumours that he had left The Sports, who he joined from Horsham at the start of the season, after being dropped for their defeat on Saturday. He has vowed to stay and fight for his place at the club, who on Tuesday night sacked long-term management duo Garry Wilson and Nick Greenwood.
Horsham manager Hugo Langton said he had be inundated with messages from excited Hornets fans asking about a possible Charman return, but said: “I’m not going to embarrass him by ringing him up when he’s under contract and offering him only expenses. If he becomes a free agent then of course I would love him back here but I’m sure he’ll get the chance to show everybody at Eastbourne just how good a player he is.”
Langton confirmed he had appealed his sending off against Lowestoft earlier this month even though by contesting the decision may incur a more lengthy ban.
He said: “I’ve been charged with using insulting and or abusive language towards a match official which is incorrect. The report also says ten minutes earlier I was warned about my conduct which is also incorrect, that was my assistant Craig Wilkinson.
“I’ve sent off my appeal and I can only hope the FA see sense. If I’d have done something wrong then I would be holding my hands up. Friends of mine in football have said just take the punishment because they will come down even harder but I can’t do that because I’ve done nothing wrong.”
Langton confirmed that Seny Diedhiou - who was also dismissed against Lowestoft along with midfielder Williams Peauroux - had left the club because of the excess travelling, and wished him well. Peauroux serves his one-game suspension this Saturday against Hendon.