Billingshurst almost blew a two-goal lead as they eased past Peacehaven Academicals to reach the third round of the Sussex Intermediate Cup on Saturday.
Mark Betts’ side went ahead through Ash Lewis, who fired the first when he cut-in off the left wing, and Darren Annis, who latched on to Lewis’ pass before producing a classy finish.
But Hurst then saw their grip on the match loosen as their Brighton & Hove League visitors struck back when goalkeeper Tom Betts’ poor clearance fell to the Peacehaven midfield, who pounced to score their first goal .
Paul Elliott restored the two-goal advantage though, when he met Lewis’ left wing cross at full steam in the 61st minute.
Billingshurst were made to sweat though, after Peacehaven struck back with a goal which had a strong suspicion of handball about it.
Manager Betts said: “We made it difficult for ourselves, it was a game we should have put to bed by half time.
“Unlike last week (an 11-goal thumping of Storrington Reserves), we squandered our chances.”
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North