Reds boss John Gregory says he’ll be working right up until the transfer window closes at 11pm tomorrow (Friday) to bring in one or two new faces.
As yet there had been enquiries, but no firm offers for any of his own Crawley players, though Gregory said he believed Emile Sinclair’s proposed move to Mansfield could still go ahead.
The Crawley manager has so far been left frustrated in his efforts to add to the additions of Matt Tubbs on loan and Gary Dicker until the end of the season, but is more than happy with what he has, believing the two January signings have strengthened his squad.
“We’ve tried and looked and talked and done everything else but we’re as we are at the moment, although things could change, it’s only Thursday,” Gregory said.
“We continue to explore all the avenues, we’ve done a lot of work, taken a lot of calls. I charged my phone four times yesterday, it’s just ridiculous. But it’s part of the job, it comes with the territory.
“We’ve enquired about lots of people, (but they’re) too expensive. Players want 18-month contracts, which we’re not prepared to commit to, all that kind of thing.
“So we are where we are, and I’m delighted with my lot, I think they’re brilliant, I love them to bits. I’m more than happy to go ahead with what we’ve got.”
Gregory has been in talks with a Premiership club for two weeks about bringing in two young players, and though the club have suffered injuries making them reluctant, a deal could still be done by 11pm tomorrow.
“I’m always hopeful that somebody gives us the green light. Maybe one (new signing) but we’ll just wait and see,” Gregory added.
If he is unable to bring anyone else in on a permanent deal, Gregory may dip into the loan market when that window reopens on February 8.
So far Gregory has been delighted with the business the club has done during January, with striker Tubbs scoring his first goal since returning away at Rotherham on Saturday and Dicker adding experience and further competition in the centre of midfield.
While there had been plenty of phone calls and enquiries for his players, Gregory said as yet the club had received no firm offers for anyone, although he did admit he would be “very nervous” until the window closed.
There has been plenty of interest in striker Sinclair however, and although a deal with Mansfield looked dead in the water during the week with the Stags announcing they wouldn’t be making any January signings, the Reds manager said the deal could be back on.
He said: “It’s still up in the air I think, anything can happen with that. There’s still an outside chance it could happen.”
Gregory also confirmed interest from Northampton when he added: “They’ve got a new management team and they’re looking at every possibility, they’ve just phoned up and enquired.
“I don’t think there’s been a firm offer for him, but obviously we paid a bit of money for him so we don’t want to be losing out at all.”