Village home plans come to standstill

DEMO IN PULBOROUGH

DEMO IN PULBOROUGH

0
Have your say

CONTROVERSIAL plans to build homes in Pulborough have come to a halt as a result of public outcry and more than 200 letters of objection.

Developers Hanbury are looking to amend the proposal to address concerns raised by those opposing the plans.

Issues raised have included urbanisation of the village, increased traffic and ‘no good reason for another development’.

Letters have come from those living in and around the area, as well as Woking, Shoreham and even a former resident who now lives in New Zealand.

The application for 104 homes to be built on land north of Highfield, Stane Street was submitted in May this year and was due to be determined by Horsham District Council by August 16.

A spokesperson from HDC said that there was ‘some delay in the receipt of consultees’ comments’, which the developer wanted to look at.

They added: “A further period of consultation will take place upon the receipt of the amended developments.”

Any new proposals will first go to the parish council before going to the district council’s Development Control South committee.

As reported in the County Times on June 16 it was initially opposed by Pulborough parish council, and many of those that live near the proposed site attended the meeting and voiced their concerns.

The council highlighted issues with the lack of primary school spaces, the strain on the drainage and sewage works and the problem with traffic building up.

The group The Campaign to Protect Rural Pulborough (CPRP) was formed in March by residents in opposition to the properties being built on the green field site.

Talking about the delay Lorraine Dale, from CPRP, said that the group were now in two minds, saying that the extra time is in their favour but they would like to know what the final plans will be.

She added that the group is not ‘anti-development’ and support homes being provided for local families, while not destroying more rural open spaces.

Mrs Dale told the County Times: “Ideally we hope that the application will be withdrawn and another application for a much smaller scale development of truly affordable housing on the brownfield, previously developed land in the area, as was the case in Amberley.”

What changes will be made remain to be confirmed, but a spokesperson from Hanbury said: “We are working with the planners closely and will share any amendments with the public when we are able to do so.” To view the plans visit http://`/public-access/ and enter planning reference number DC/11/0952.