VIDEO: Pulborough house fire occupant: “I’ve had better days”

0
Have your say

A man who was inside a Pulborough home when a blaze broke out yesterday (Monday October 14) says he has had ‘better days’.

Eight units and around 40 firefighters attended Gay Street Lane just after 12.30pm.

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

Police closed off the A29 Stane Street as firefighters battled flames which had engulfed the roof and a garage.

Chris Merry was in the home at the time but escaped unharmed.

He told the County Times: “I don’t feel brilliant about it - I’ve had better days.”

Mr Merry believes a battery charger was the cause of the fire.

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

“The house and the roof are ruined,” he continued, “there’s an inch of water everywhere.”

A firefighter at the scene said a pet cat was saved from the burning building.

The A29 has been closed in both directions between Codmore Hill and the B2133 Adversane Lane junction because of smoke blowing across the road, but is due to re-open shortly.

A spokeswoman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze is now out and crews are dampening down the area and cutting away debris.

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

JPCT 141013 House fire, Gay Street Lane, North Heath, near Pulborough. Photo by Derek Martin

She added the fire is being treated as accidental.