UPDATE: Construction site fire at Horsham care home

editorial image
0
Have your say

A fire at a construction site in Horsham in the early hours of this morning affected a residential care home.

Director of Ashtonleigh Residential Home on Wimblehurst Road, Gaj Ragunaphan, said an electrical appliance caught fire, but was put out almost immediately by a sprinker system.

Fire crews from Horsham were called as per procedure and no one was hurt, he added.

“We had the most miniscule fire on the planet, about the size of a 10p piece,” he said.

“Everything worked perfectly and all the staff were excellent.”

The burnt appliance was in a first floor extension that is being built to be used a cinema room for residents.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue sent two appliances following a call at 3.02am to find the fire out on arrival, a fire service spokesperson confirmed.