Two people were arrested after a five-year-old was left alone in a flat which caught fire yesterday afternoon (Thursday February 25).
The fire broke out at a flat in Haywards Heath at around 5pm.
Firefighters were called and rescued a five-year-old girl from the building.
Police said she was alone in the flat and was taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation.
She was discharged from hospital later that evening.
A 24-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of child neglect, police said.
The man has been released without any action being taken against him.
The woman has been released on bail until March 4 while enquiries continue.
A police spokesman said: “The West Sussex police Safeguarding Investigation Unit are working with West Sussex Fire and Rescue and West Sussex Children’s Social Care to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child.”
A spokesman for the fire service said unattended cooking was the cause of the fire. It is being treated as an accident.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
We are always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.