As the cold weather refuses to budge, firefighters are facing more chimney fires in the Horsham district.
Yesterday (Monday March 25) the emergency service was called to two, one in Horsham and one in Steyning.
On Sunday they dealt with another, this time in Rudgwick.
In the last 12 months they have been called to around 150 across the county.
Sunday’s was at a house in Lynwick Street, Rudgwick, at around 9am.
Yesterday they were called to a house in Bennetts Road, Horsham, at around 11.30am and a home in Shooting Field, Steyning, at 3pm.
In all the incidents specialist chimney equipment was used.
In the event of a chimney fire the advice is:
Dial 999 and ask for the Fire Service (there is no charge).
If you have a conventional open fire, extinguish the fire by gently splashing water onto the fire.
If you have a solid fuel appliance, close down the ventilation as much as possible.
Move furniture and rugs away from the fireplace and remove any nearby ornaments.
Place a sparkguard in front of the fire.
Feel the chimney breast in other rooms for signs of heat.
If a wall is becoming hot, move furniture away. Ensure that access to your attic or roof space is available for the Fire Service as they will want to thoroughly check this area for signs of possible fire spread.
Chimney fires can spread to the rest of your property so always call the Fire Service if you have a chimney fire.
For more fire safety advice, contact West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service on 01243 786211.
The National Association of Chimney Sweeps (NACS) has a network of sweeps throughout the county.
All NACS members are fully insured and work to a code of practice.
For more details of your local NACS member phone Freephone 0800 833464.