Man trapped under car is saved by mobile

A man trapped under a car was freed by police. Picture by Eddie Mitchell.
A man trapped under a car was freed by police. Picture by Eddie Mitchell.
Have your say

A man trapped under a two ton car was pulled free after he called emergency services from his mobile phone.

The man in his 40s was working on the American Buick in Rectory Lane, Ashington today (September 4) at 9.55am, when it rolled off the jack and trapped him underneath, Sussex Police said.

Miraculously, the man was able to use his mobile phone to call for help whilst struggling with constricted breath.

Police, firefighters and paramedics attended the scene.

The Sussex Air Ambulance was also called but later stood down.

Once free, the man was taken to Worthing Hospital for a precautionary check-up, but Sussex Police said he is believed to have no major injuries.

Road policing officer PC Peter De Silvo, who saved the man from under the classic car, told the County Times today (September 4) that he was ‘really lucky’ and could have remained unnoticed if he was unable to reach his mobile phone.

He said: “One of my colleagues had hopped over a gate and found the man as I arrived.

“He was completely covered by the vehicle and the weight of it meant that he was struggling to breathe, but he was still able to talk to us and tell us where the jack was.

“We replaced it and jacked the car back up, but it was still sinking on the jack so we pulled him out and kept him calm until ambulance colleagues arrived to attend to him.

“He’s a really lucky man. If he hadn’t been able to get at his mobile phone, he could have laid there unnoticed for ages as there was no part of him that was showing from underneath the car.

“We were just glad that he was talking to us and it looks as though his injuries aren’t too serious.”

A spokesperson for South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) said: “He was fully conscious and wasn’t suffering from any obvious injuries, but was assessed and treated at the scene before he was taken to Worthing Hospital.”