Traders in Horsham town centre have voiced anger about roadworks after suffering a dramatic fall in takings.
Veasey and Sons Fishmongers in the Carfax have lost hundreds of pounds since contractors started work on an £80,000 facelift.
The Candy Box newsagent claims its profit is down by ten to 20 per cent a day.
Work has closed parts of the Carfax off to traffic and bus services have been suspended for the duration - estimated to take seven weeks.
Will Wright, 32, of Veasey and Sons, says the shop is losing around 150 to 200 customers and £700 a week.
“When work started there was an instant drop, and it’s gradually got worse,” he said. “At the moment we’re treading on water barely making any profit.”
He added that traders in the area are ‘frustrated’ and ‘bored’ with the works.
Businesses hope a scheduled break for Piazza Italia over Easter Bank Holiday weekend will bring a much needed boost.
What do you think? Are you a trader in Horsham town centre and want to air your views? Comment below, email email@example.com or contact 01403 751267.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- From the back pages, May 26: Arsenal ready to break the bank and lure wantaway Rooney to Emirates
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west