Shops in Horsham’s Piries Place have been evacuated after a gas leak this morning (Tuesday July 29).
A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said they had been called to a gas leak in a refrigeration area in the bulk store area in Piries Place at 10.30am.
Scores of staff and customers were evacuated and the entirety of Piries Place remains cordoned off while firefighters deal with the gas leak.
Firefighter Andy Mannering said the leak had originated in the Waitrose store.
He said: “It seems like it was probably an accident.
“We have closed Piries Place off for public safety.”
Police are also in attendance.