Extraordinary tales of community spirit have emerged as the ice thaws from yet another bout of extreme weather in the Horsham district this year.
One man described feeling like a local hero after unblocking the A24 with his neighbour, a wheelbarrow full of grit and a spade on Monday night.
Meanwhile a Pease Pottage pub was transformed into a refuge for those stranded by the snow.
The landlady and her mother even gave up their beds and slept on the sofa to give travellers some rest.
For the full story and a special snow report buy tomorrow’s (Thursday March 14) West Sussex County Times.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North