A Storrington chip shop is closed for business today (Tuesday December 4) after firefighters spent the morning tackling a blaze at the property.
Crew in three engines rushed to the scene off the High Street at 9.56am to find a fire in an electrical unit.
They fought the flames using three carbon dioxide extinguishers and two hose reels.
Meanwhile, the chip shop owner and occupants in a neighbouring unit were evacuated as a police cordon was set up around the area.
A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the building suffered ten percent fire damage and 90 per cent smoke and heat damage.
At the time witness Brian Burns, of Sullington, told the County Times: “The traffic is chaotic. I suspect it’s backed up right to the Washington Roundabout.
“I would be amazed if the fire engines can even get out themselves. I think it’s the biggest jam Storrington has had for quite a while now.”
Firefighters left the scene just before 11am.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North