Firefighters have issued a safety warning after they were called to three chimney fires in just nine hours.
Yesterday, West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service had to deal with three such incidents in Horsham District.
A fire crew from Horsham were sent to a house in Blakes Farm Road, Southwater around 1pm.
At 6.30pm, a chimney fire was reported at a 14th century house in Spronketts Lane, Warninglid. A crew from Partridge Green reported a difficult fire, which took until 8pm to deal with.
Another fire broke out at a house in Dunsfold Road, Plaistow, around 9.30pm, and was put out by a crew from Dunsfold.
Jackie Boyle, Community Fire Safety Officer for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, said: “The temperatures have dropped in the last couple of days and the cold weather is set to really bite over the next week or so.
“We know many people will turn to open fires to keep out the winter chill, but if basic safety precautions aren’t followed they can become a serious fire hazard.
“The best piece of advice we can give to anyone planning to light a fire this winter is to make sure they get their chimney checked and swept.
“Chimney fires are one of the most common incidents that our crews attend, but many could so easily have been avoided.
“The consequence of a chimney fire isn’t just the damage caused by the blaze itself, there is also the damage from the soot and smoke, which can affect all of your personal property.
“If you are able to, inspect your chimney breast, particularly in the roof space. Make sure that it is sound and that the sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
“Of course, you should also make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home - that early warning to a fire really is a lifesaver and means damage to your property can hopefully be kept to a minimum.”
West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offers the following advice:
- Have your chimney swept at least once a year, twice a year if burning wood
- When burning wood, use dry, seasoned woods only
- Build smaller, hotter fires that burn completely and produce less smoke
- Never burn cardboard boxes or waste paper
- Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire
- Do not overload the grate or appliance
- Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires
- Ensure the fire is fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Make sure wood burners and other fire appliances are installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
- Test It Tuesday! Working smoke alarms save lives - so check yours weekly
To find your local chimney sweep, contact the National Association of Chimney Sweeps on freephone 0800 833464 or www.nacs.org.uk