A newsagent who has collected signatures for a petition against a new Horsham Tesco Express store called plans a kick in the teeth.
Mr Patel, owner and manager of Elm Grove Store, submitted the petiton signed by more than 200 of his customers to Horsham District Council after Tesco’s plans for the site in Brighton Road, was announced in the County Times two weeks ago.
Tesco hopes to create 20 new jobs and open by the summer of 2013 on the old Silver Wok site, which has moved to Queen Street.
However Mr Patel said his customers did not want it there.
He added: “They do not want it. They are not happy. It’s a residential area, they are happy with the two shops being there.
“It’s going to affect the local community, traffic and there’s no need for it after all these years, especially when they have one down the road at Redkiln Way already.”
Horsham District Council said that change of use from a restaurant to shop would be allowed without planning permission, but would be needed for alterations to the building and some advertisements.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North