A gang of six masked men raided a recycling company in Slinfold, demanding cash and gold.
The intruders entered Duesmann and Hensel Recycling Ltd, Maydwell Avenue, and tied up the woman receptionist and a man working there, stealing their car keys and wallets.
A statement from Sussex Police said: “They also demanded cash and gold, which are not held on the premises.
“However they then fled when they became aware that another member of staff elsewhere on the premises had realised what was happening and was raising the alarm via an adjacent company.
“The two victims were shaken but not physically injured.”
The suspects are believed to have arrived in two white vans, one of which was abandoned at the scene.
Police are still looking for the second, described as a white Transit van.
DS Sian Harding said: “We would like to hear from anyone who was in the area late on Friday afternoon and who saw this white van or any other suspicious activity. Please contact us via 101 quoting serial 1418 of 18/1. You can also call independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111”.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west