Those interested in becoming a West Sussex County Councillor have until noon on Friday April 5 2013 to submit their nominations.
Elections are being held for all 71 electoral divisions of West Sussex County Council on Thursday May 2 2013.
Twelve of the divisions are in the Horsham District and candidates wishing to stand in this area can submit their nominations to stand at the election to Horsham District Council between Tuesday 26 March and Friday 5 April.
To stand for election, a candidate must be:
· a British citizen or a citizen of a member country of the European Union or the Commonwealth
· aged 18 years or over
· registered to vote in West Sussex, or, before the day of nomination, have either lived or worked in West Sussex for a year or been an owner or tenant of land or premises in West Sussex for a year
Candidates cannot stand for election if they:
· work for West Sussex County Council
· work for another local authority or hold a politically restricted post
· have received a prison sentence or suspended sentence of three months or more within five years of the election
· are the subject of bankruptcy restrictions order or an interim order or have been convicted of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election count
Voters in the Horsham District need to make sure they are on the Electoral Register at Horsham District Council by Wednesday 17 April to vote at the election on Thursday May 2.
For more information about registering to vote or to stand as a candidate in the Horsham District, contact Horsham District Council by calling 01403 215126.
For more information on being a West Sussex County Councillor, visit the West Sussex County Council website (http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/your_council/councillors_and_democracy/elections/be_a_county_councillor.aspx)