A mother is worried for her daughters’ health due to a build up of mould in the bathroom of the family’s Saxon Weald-owned home.
Tanya Iltaf, 27, of Park Terrace East, Horsham, said her daughters Layla, seven, and Ruqayya, three, have suffered from health problems as a result of the mould.
She explained that Saxon Weald have fitted an extractor fan in the bathroom but that has not solved the problem, while mould has also emerged in the kitchen and a bedroom in the home.
She said: “I am worrying about my kids’ health, because it is there all the time.
“That wall to me is rotting and when it rots it gives off odours.
“For all I know there are some deadly chemical coming off my decomposing wall. I am too scared to touch it.”
Mrs Iltaf said Layla has suffered from Bell’s Palsy on two occasions since the family have been living in the property, and added the mould has worsened Ruqayya’s asthma.
She also expressed her outrage when a Saxon Weald employee suggested she ‘wipe off’ the severe mould.
She said: “When she said to wipe it off, I got really annoyed and my husband couldn’t believe it - it’s ridiculous.”
After mould appeared in the bedroom shared by the girls, Mrs Iltaf and her husband swapped bedrooms with the girls as they didn’t want them to sleep in the room.
Mrs Iltaf added: “The ideal thing would be them (Saxon Weald) apologising and fixing it straight away.
“I would be over the moon and I would have a better relationship with my landlord.
“It is not really a massive job so why can’t they just do it?”
A spokesperson for Saxon Weald said: “We first inspected the damp in Mrs Iltaf’s property in February and have since installed an extractor fan in the bathroom.
“As this has not solved the problem, we will talk to Mrs Iltaf and do a further inspection to see what we can do next.
“We aim to provide our residents with safe and comfortable homes, so will do what we can to resolve the situation.”