A former policeman from Steyning has been charged with misconduct in a public office as part of Operation Elveden, the Metropolitan Police has said.
James Bowes, 30, of King’s Stone Avenue, who was a sergeant at Sussex Police, is alleged to have provided information to The Sun newspaper in return for money.
Alison Levitt QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said a ‘careful review of the evidence’ had been completed, leading to the decision to charge the former police sergeant.
“The charge relates to allegations that Mr Bowes provided details to the newspaper about three high profile investigations being conducted by Sussex Police at the time.
“Accordingly, we have authorised the institution of proceedings and Mr Bowes will appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on March 26 2013.”
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North