With forecasters predicting icy weather next week, a campaign to keep people warm and safe during the cold winter months has been re-launched by West Sussex County Council.
The ‘Get Ready For Winter’ campaign offers advice to help people protect their homes, health and well-being throughout winter.
It also provides useful information about winter travel and helping out in the community.
Advice is available to help residents to:
• Order winter fuel;
• Find out if they are at risk from flooding and sign up for free flood warnings;
• Find out about heating and insulation grants;
• Check pipes are lagged;
• Make sure they have shoes with good grip;
• Prepare their car for winter;
• Check travel and weather warnings;
• Find out if they qualify for a flu jab;
• Check who might need help in their community;
• Check they have the tools to clear snow and ice; and
• Volunteer to help in their community.
Throughout November information will be on display in local libraries and on parish council notice boards, reminding people to think ahead.
Web pages have also been updated on the County Council website so residents can find everything in one place.
County Council cabinet member for public protection, Christine Field, said: “Cold weather can be a miserable experience if you are not prepared for it.
“We have gathered together plenty of useful hints and tips which can help you, your family or your neighbour cope when the temperature drops.”
Visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/getreadyforwinter or call the County Council on 01243 777100 for advice.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 6 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: West