Horsham will be one of many locations across the UK raising money for the elderly through Bobble Day today (Friday February 7).
Every winter an average of 70 people die in Horsham District as a result of not being adequately prepared for winter. All deaths that can be avoided given the correct support, something that Age UK Horsham District is passionate to provide.
This year’s fundraising has already started with cafes and restaurants selecting warming food and drinks and donating a proportion of sales to raise money.
The REAL Eating Co. donated 5p from every hot drink they sold during December and raised over £500. C&H Fabrics have got a free bobble making station upstairs in their store on West Street where you can make your own bobble.
Community fundraiser for Age UK Horsham District Lawrie Mallyon said: “This is the second Bobble Day that we’ve held in Horsham district and we want to get more people involved and raising money to support the vulnerable people in our community.”
If you want to get involved with Bobble Day this year and support those in later life in the district, here’s five ways to do it:
• Buy and wear a Bobble and show your support. These will be available in participating shops in the run up or about town on Bobble Day.
• Text AUKH00 followed by a donation e.g. £10 to 70070 to support older people or make an online donation at www.ageukhorshamdistrict.org.uk
• Visit Horsham town on Friday 7th warm up display from DC Leisure 50+ Zumba class on the bandstand (from 11.30-12.50pm) and drop by the Bobble pop-up shop in Swan Walk hosted by the staff of Pretty Things tea rooms and help them raise money for the campaign.
• Host your own Bobble Day wherever you are and raise money to support older people. You can download a Bobble Day pack with information and ideas from the charity’s website or call them on 01403 260 560.
• Age UK Horsham District and Horsham District Council’s Wellbeing team will be in the Carfax from 10am–2pm giving out advice about free services and ways to keep yourself warm this winter.
If you make or buy a Bobble, bring it along to the Horsham Pancake races on Tuesday 18th February and be part of a record attempt in partnership with Horsham Rotary.