The driver of a lorry which was involved in a traffic accident on the A23 near Handcross this afternoon Thursday October 4) has died.
The incident happened at around 12.45pm on the southbound stretch of the road where an articulated lorry carrying a dumper truck left the carriageway and went onto the verge.
Emergency services went to the scene and the driver of the vehicle was declared dead at the scene.
Police would like to speak to anyone who has information that will assist in the investigation of the crash.
The road closure caused major tailbacks of up to six miles at one stage.
A police spokesperson said: “Unfortunately the A23 was closed southbound for over four hours, but it is now open.
“This was necessary to safely facilitate the specialist recovery of the large vehicle and its load. We would like to thank the public for their co-operation and patience during this time.”
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- It’s time to cool it over parking
- From the back pages, May 24: Moyes eyes Barca starlet Thiago
- Roadworks scheduled for the Horsham district
- Cars vandalised in Pondtail Drive area of Horsham
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Horsham
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North