DCSIMG

20s PLENTY: Bid to get blanket 20mph speed limit for Horsham town launched

A plea to reduce the speed limit in parts of Horsham town to 20 miles per hour was launched today.

‘Horsham 20’s plenty’, fronted by Greg Collins, a member of Horsham and District Cycling Forum, aims to bring benefits to every town and village in the district, making it a ‘truly great district to live in’.

He said: “The easiest and simplest way to tame the traffic on the streets and return ‘ownership’ of them to pedestrians and cyclists is the introduction of 20mph limits wherever people live.

“Hard infrastructure like the Roffey Road traffic calming scheme are expensive ugly intrusions into the street scene which only serve to encourage race track driving as motorists vie with one another to claim priority and which reinforce the second class status of more vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians.”

He thought that if a 20mph limit was introduced in the town, excluding the A and B roads it would encourage more cycling and walking, improving the health of residents.

National research from earlier this month suggested that only 25 per cent of primary school children walk to school alone, with some Horsham parents citing road safety as one of the factors for not allowing them to travel without them.

Last week West Sussex county councillor Brad Watson (Con, Southwater and Nuthurst), chairman of the North Horsham County Local Committee, said that there were a range of measures available for residents worried about traffic safety.

However he said enforcing 20mph speed limits would be extremely costly to taxpayers.

The County Times has been bombarded with letters from concerned residents across the Horsham district in response to last week’s article.

Cowfold villagers, angry at speeding through the village, have called a public meeting to discuss a way forward on Thursday January 31 at 7.30pm at St Peter’s School Hall, and are inviting anyone to attend.

Meanwhile after another accident in Kerves Lane between Horsham and Southwater this week, Susan Michaelis, a health and safety consultant and concerned resident, said: “I see people driving down Kerves Lane at break-neck speeds and it’s worrying - for some reason they think it’s a race track.

“How much longer will it take before someone is killed or maimed? From a safety point of view something needs to be done. I just feel like something needs to be said.”

Dr Michaelis’ concern stretches further than Kerves Lane and said that, in principle, she would back a ‘20 is plenty’ campaign for the area.

What do you think of the campaign? Are you unhappy with road safety on your street or road?

Comment below or email ct.news@sussexnewspapers.co.uk

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page