Pupils at a Horsham school will be taught in temporary accommodation until November after an inferno ripped through the building.
Girls who attend Millais School in Depot Road have been told most of the personal belongings left on the top floor were destroyed when the blaze took hold on Thursday March 20.
Coursework was also lost but this week headteacher Leon Nettley told the County Times examinations boards make ‘special allowances’ in these situations and he is working with them to minimise impact of pupils – with some due to take art exams after the Easter break.
Access to a total of 17 teaching bases was wiped out, along with various offices, the computer network and telephone system and power to much of the building.
In replacement of the top floor facilities, four general teaching rooms and two art rooms will be set up in a bid to have the school fully re-opened after the Easter break.
Specialist cleaners and contractors have been brought in to put some classrooms back in use.
However part of the building affected by the fire was due to be demolished in November as part of a redevelopment programme and as a result the top floor will not be re-instated.
The school’s PTA is working with pupils to co-ordinate a series of fundraising events.
Headteacher Leon Nettley said it is too early to put a price on the damage but said: “We have taken tremendous steps ourselves as a school to get back on track and mitigate the loss in respect of the building.
“It is our intention to have the school fully operational with all year groups after Easter and we have been told by experts that this would be a remarkable achievement in the circumstances.”
Last week Millais staff chose not to take part in national strike action in a bid to support pupils.