Pulborough residents were advised to stay indoors and a main road was closed after a gas leak this morning (Thursday August 8).
West Sussex Fire and Rescue were called to the scene at Harwoods Land Rover garage at about 11.30am.
The A29 was closed in both directions while the gas board handled the leak at the outside gas main, but it was opened again at about 1pm.
A Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Local residents were advised to stay indoors with windows closed, and were asked to refrain from smoking.”
Fire units from Storrington and Petworth were called to the scene.