Donations flood in for homeless man whose tent was set alight

editorial image

Hundreds of pounds have already been raised to help a homeless man whose tent was torched by arsonists.

Neil Bottomley was ‘devastated’ when he realised that the tent he sleeps inside in woodland near Broadbridge Heath had been destroyed.

Within hours of the County Times publishing an article this morning (Friday February 19), Horsham resident Tony Isted set up an online fundraising page.

To donate, click here.

Any funds or gifts will be passed to Neil via a Horsham-based charity, with exact details to follow.

Tony said: “As a resident of the Horsham district I feel it is disgusting that our residents get treated in such despicable ways.

“No one deserves to be treated this way and certainly not the homeless.

“My goal is to not only cover the costs of the items destroyed so that Neil can be without debt but also to replace the equipment necessary.”

Neil, 43, explained he sleeps in a night shelter during the winter, but returned to check on the tent ahead of the shelter’s seasonal closure next month.

However, he found the tent and equipment inside, worth £400, had been wrecked.

He said: “I don’t know what to do. I am devastated, that was my home.

“If I can’t live in woods in the middle of nowhere, where can I go?”

More: Homeless man ‘devastated’ after tent torched

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at www.wscountytimes.co.uk

2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wscountytimes

3 Follow us on Twitter @wscountytimes

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends – so they don’t miss out!

The County Times – always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.