COUNTY NEWS: Permanent memorial for Britons killed in Tunisia terror attack

Flowers at the scene of the massacre in Sousse as sources warned the British death toll could rise to at least 30 (PA) SUS-150207-101854001

Flowers at the scene of the massacre in Sousse as sources warned the British death toll could rise to at least 30 (PA) SUS-150207-101854001

0
Have your say

The Prime Minister has announced a permanent memorial for the 30 British victims of the Tunisia terror attack is to be created.

PM David Cameron said the government would fund two permanent memorials to UK victims of terror.

One will honour those who died in the Tunisia beach attack, and a second memorial will commemorate Britons killed in other terror attacks overseas.

The bereaved families of the 30 British holidaymakers killed by a lone gunman in Sousse will be consulted on where their memorial will be.

A service will also be held in the autumn, dedicated to those caught up in the attack which killed 38.

On Saturday, the final five bodies of British victims were returned to the UK.

Mr Cameron said: “Those who lost their lives in Tunisia last week were innocent victims of a brutal terrorist atrocity.

“It is right that we mark and commemorate them and others murdered by terrorists overseas appropriately and support the loved ones they have left behind in every way we can.”

People across the country observed a minute’s silence on Friday to pay their respects to those killed in the atrocity.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.