Clearance for versatile Huggett offsets Clark’s departure

Luke Huggett in action for Wick back in 2010   L16126H10
Luke Huggett in action for Wick back in 2010 L16126H10

Horsham have offset the loss of promising youngster Jordan Clark by receiving international clearance for versatile Luke Huggett.

Midfielder Clark, who has been one of the Hornets stand-out summer signings, joined Worthing last week after catching the eye of the Ryman League side.

DM15224078a.jpg Football: Worthing United v Horsham. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-150711-182640008

DM15224078a.jpg Football: Worthing United v Horsham. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-150711-182640008

But Southern Combination League side Horsham have been boosted by former England Colleges striker Hugget receiving clearance this week after playing in America.

The ex-Brighton & Hove Albion centre of excellence and Crawley Town youngster moved to the States in 2010 and scored 49 goals and captained Cloud County College to the title.

Horsham manager Dominic Di Paola said: “He used to play for Wick and EP when he was younger and won the Brighton Charity Cup down there, but has been out in America.

“He is not fully fit, but can play all through the midfield, up front or left-back, so is a decent player for us.

“He’s been back a couple of months now, but we have been waiting for international clearance. He has been available for a few weeks, but we’ve not been able to use him.

“He goes into the squad for Saturday (Eastbourne United at home). He’s a good player with a good attitude, so a good player to have on board.”

The manager conceded Clark’s departure was a big loss, but said: “It is what it is. At this level and standard, people will come in for players.

“If it wasn’t Worthing I don’t think he would have gone. He is a Worthing lad, played for Worthing youth and is best mates with the chairman down there.

“I’d like to think if it didn’t work out for him down there, we would get him back, it’s just unfortunate.

“It’s the way it is, it has not actually happened to us too much in the past. We usually keep players for the season, it is a shame but we just have to get on with it.

“We do need to get one or two in as we have been a bit unfortunate with injuries and unavailabilities and not having any under-21s makes it hard.

“I have put a couple of seven-dayers in, but I do not think much will come of them. That’s the way I want to do it, while others don’t seem to mind to tap players up.

“I do not think that’s the right approach, we have had it done to us this season and it isn’t right. But after the approach is in you have to wait seven days to even speak to them to see if they are interested.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!