Chimney fire at Wiggonholt

news@lbobserver.co.uk
news@lbobserver.co.uk

The colder weather has increased potential for chimney fire across the district.

Firefighters were called to one incident in Wiggonholt last night (Tuesday September 10) just after 9pm.

Chimney equipment was used to put the fire out at the house in Church Lane and advice was given to the occupier.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has provided the following tips on how to stay safe with chimneys.

If you have had a chimney fire it is essential that you have your flue inspected by a competent person to ensure it has not been damaged. The chimney must also be properly cleaned before using the fire again.

To prevent chimney fires in the future and possible structural damage to your property, please ensure your chimney is cleaned at least as often as listed below.

Solid fuel appliances: Once per year for smokeless fuel and twice per year for coal.

Wood burning appliances: Quarterly when in use.

Gas appliances: Once per year if designed for sweeping.

Oil fired appliances: Once per year.

It is not sufficient to clean a chimney using a vacuum cleaner alone.

Ensure your chimney flue is inspected at regular intervals to prevent fire breaking out of the chimney.

Fireguards can prevent serious injury or even death, and sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire.

If you haven’t already done so, fit a smoke alarm. It could save your life.