The Q.M.N.G. was the Queen Mary Needlework Guild, set up in 1914 with Queen Mary as its patron but its origins go back further.
The Guild was founded in 1882 as The London Guild to provide orphanages with knitted garments.
In 1889 it was renamed the London Needlework Guild and in August 1914 renamed the Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild.
“Three offers of ten guineas each have been received for the Shetland pony, which Mrs Beale, of Eastlands, Cowfold, offered for the ‘Q.M.N.G.’
“The money will be devoted to the purchase of material for the making of children’s clothes.”