30 years ago

From the West Sussex County Times of Friday, September 17, 1982.

At least an extra £160,000 will have to be spent on the home help service in West Sussex next year – because of the soaring number of elderly people in the county.

This was revealed at Friday’s meeting of the county social services committee, when members were reviewing the level of services throughout West Sussex.

Director of social services Miss Helen Seed said that in the present economic climate, where the department had to exercise restraint in many “desirable” areas of expenditure, it was essential that priorities were continually reappraised to ensure effective use of resources.

In the next financial year, councillors were told, another 76,000 hours more would need to be spent by home helps with old folk.

“That is really just to keep pace with the increase in population; it is not an improvement in service,” Miss Seed explained.

Ambitious plans to build a new exhibition and performance hall at Cranleigh Arts Centre, as part of an overall expansion scheme, have received a temporary setback.

The Cranleigh Arts Centre Limited project, although being agreed “in principle” by Waverley’s eastern area planning sub committee has fallen foul because of its design.

Councillors who expressed interest in the company’s bid to improve art and leisure facilities in the village, were concerned about the height of the proposed new building and materials to be used for the structure.

Members, who were presented with plans, and a scale balsa wood model of the new hall which would have a seating capacity of up to 175, deferred the application.

They have asked planning officers to consult Waverley architect Mr Arthur Gomez, who drew up the plan and request possible amendments on height and external appearance.

The plan before the committee was for a building 36 feet high, and to be constructed in “off white” painted brickwork, with a blue asbestos slate roof.

District planning officer, Mr Peter Hartley said the building had been carefully planned, and that it was difficult to find a material that would match the yellow sandstone of the original structure, which had mellowed in 100 years.

Henfield’s controversial industrial site in West End Lane has been refused permission to expand.

Despite a recommendation from planning officers to grant permission with conditions, Horsham’s area two committee decisively rejected the application for two new industrial units at Millcot, in West End Lane.

The committee was advised against refusing permission and told there was no certainty of its decision being upheld at appeal. By granting permission it was possible to impose conditions on working, planning officer Miss Eleanor Moore said.

Reflecting the feeling of anger in Henfield about the existing industrial buildings, councillors were adamant that permission should be refused, and any resulting appeal fought by the council.

Having heard the officer’s view that it would not be possible to object on grounds of traffic flow to the site, Mrs Marjorie Ward (Steyning) retorted: “It is ludicrous to say this is not a reason for refusal. We refused permission for a bungalow two or three times on highways grounds.”

Members heard that the 11 industrial units already on the site had been allowed by a Department of the Environment inspector after Horsham District Council had refused planning permission in August last year.