30 years ago

FROM the West Sussex County Times of Friday, October 2, 1981.

FOUR of the 13 acres which make up the playing fields of Chesworth Junior School, Kings Road, Horsham, owned by West Sussex County Council, are to be sold for housing.

But members of Horsham District Council’s area one plans sub-committee, while not opposed to houses there, showed anger at proposals to share the school’s access with the proposed estate road.

Last year the district council said there was no objection to the houses subject to development not taking place before 1984. But the district council tried to insist that an alternative access be provided separate from school access.

And it was the point about the access road that caused concern for the county council had not provided a separate access to the proposed houses from Kings Road although the internal layout had been amended.

One of the district council’s planning officers, Philip Hodskinson, said the council had been adamant it did not want the school access used as part of the estate road. Pamela Henderson said it was quite wrong to allow cars from the proposed houses to share the road with the school.

But George Pinion, a governor of the school, said that eventually the governors had reluctantly agreed to accept the road proposal. “I should point out that the county council did not need permission. If we are not going to get what we want we have to make the best of it,” he added.

It was Maj Richard Maydwell who commented that the county council was not prepared to put a separate access because it would not make as much money from the land sale.

A DISPUTE has started over plans to build a £1.5m plant for turning West Sussex dustbin rubbish into fuel.

Some county councillors are strongly in favour of getting private enterprise to undertake the project, while others want the council itself to do the work.

The wrangle started at a meeting of the general purposes committee when some members claimed that local government enterprises rarely made a profit and that the ratepayers could end up having to foot a massive bill.

After well over an hour of argument and discussion, the committee went into private session to reach a final decision. A council official said afterwards that the scheme was approved in principle, but there would be further consideration of revenue and manpower implications at another private meeting.

STORRINGTON Parish Council is to urge the Southern Water Authority and Horsham District Council to introduce an early warning system for flooding in the village.

The proposal was put forward by the floods committee, formed in July, and consisting of members of the parish council and public.

The committee aims at alleviating the area’s serious flooding problems. One suggestion has been that a siren goes off in the event of heavy rainfall.

The floods committee has met twice since its formation. Various members have acted as observers and investigators for different parts of the parish. They had also circulated questionnaires compiled by the water authority to help probe the problem.

The committee has identified the areas in which flooding has been particularly severe. These are the High Street and Stream Cottage area, Browns Lane, Church Street, Spierbridge Road and Swan Close, Monastery Lane, Pulborough Road and Chantry Lane.

Special problems affecting health have been scrutinised by the committee. It took a close look at premises where food is sold, such as Eastbrook Stores, the Anchor Inn and Victoria Wine Company. Members also examined premises particularly hard hit by flooding, such as Storrington Gallery.

The committee found that public health is seriously affected at all food and drink establishments.

The overflowing of the River Stor in flood conditions has also been studied. It has been suggested that the river should be caused to spill on to waste ground, followed by a controlled release of the flood waters downstream after each storm.